• Sarah Marcina

#2019 Monthly Color Challenge Finished!


The hardest part of finishing the Jen's quilt was finding that missing block!!! This year I made my blocks from scraps so the blocks are not all the same size. I decided not to add sashing, but just to border the blocks to make them the same size. I added the strips in random colors, which I thought added interest.

My smallest block fit into the palm of my hand! I had to build the block up to match the size of the patterns requirements, which is also the largest block. First I put my blocks on my (tablecloth) design wall. In my scraps, I found I had strips of my fabrics, so that is what I went with. For this one all I did was sew the strips together, then sew them to the original block, resulting in the appropriate quilt size.

Here is another example of where I didn't like what I had so I sent totally scrappy. Again, the goal is to have the required block size for the pattern. This is a great way to use up orphan blocks!

I've added a quick video of how the quilt went together. I haven't quilted it yet, but that is on my to-do list for 2020! I'm looking forward to next years Monthly Color Challenge!

Don't forget to visit Jen's blog for the real finished quilt! Also, these bloggers have some pretty nice finishes also.

If you're looking for a fun quilt for the new year, Charisma Horton & I teamed up and are hosting "Diary of a Patriot" Mystery Quilt! It is available in two sizes, on of which is Quilts of Valor appropriate! Click the picture to be linked up to the Facebook Group where all of the fun will be. Hope to see you there! Go ahead and introduce yourself. Being curious as to how everyone joined the group, let us know you participated in Jen's #2019MonthlyColorChallenge!


© 2017-2020 The Quilted Diary